OK, now I'm Chief Bean


The purpose of this blog is to write down some of the thoughts that are banging around in my head.

If the reason you visit is to learn my thoughts, you're in the right place. Even if you disagree with me that's O.K. healthy discussion is encouraged. Heck, you may be able to change my opinion (as long as you're open to me changing yours).

If you're here to look for scoop, drama, or just criticize me (or my department) you're in the wrong place. There are plenty of outlets on the internet for that

Thursday, November 17, 2011

Communications 101

Question: Do you know what the term Collyer’s Mansion means? Three…Two…One: Time

I have heard a number of very knowledgeable officers use this term, and had to do a little time with Uncle Google to find out what Collyer’s Mansion means. Collyer’s Manson syndrome is another term for the disorder commonly called being a hoarder. Most of us have been exposed to a hoarder sometime in our fire service career; if not it’s only a matter of time.

The point of this posting is to reinforce the use of common language to identify common problems. On the radio this morning I heard an unit officer ask our dispatch center to make a note in our dispatch notes for this address that indicated that the house was a Collyers Mansion situation. That would be acceptable if that officer is the only person that responds, but what about the newly promoted officer, or the firefighter acting above class? Will they know what that means?

We all pretty much know what a hoarder is, if not watch the high-numbered channels on basic cable.

No comments:

Post a Comment